Baby Stuff and (Maybe) Bad News

We went shopping for baby stuff over the weekend and bought possibly most of the items on the list (I referred to the list on BabyBump app on my phone and added a few items as well). From baby bedding to baby toiletries to baby clothes, we've got it all. We went to Ikea to get a cot which was RM 179 (so cheap, right?!) but unfortunately it was sold out, and we felt that another trip to Ikea would pretty much cost the same as buying a slightly more expensive cot anyway (because my husband is the only one between us who has a car and he lives in Melaka), so we bought the cot that was available, which was RM 299. The price is still okay, I guess. But RM 179 would have been a bargain. The car was full to the brim by the time we were done shopping, plus we picked up some of my stuff in KL to bring to Melaka, and headed straight to Melaka in the middle of the night. Luckily it was a long weekend so we could use the next day, which was Monday, to rest. I was so tired that I didn't even hear my alarm go off (dear husband said he heard it and turned it off). I spent the whole of Monday organizing all the stuff in the baby's room so that we can assemble the cot, but there was so much stuff that I had to stop by bedtime and continue some other time. Basically we had used the room as a storage before we decided we were going to turn it into a nursery.

So basically we have bought:-
1. Baby cot.
2. Cot mattress.
3. Bath tub.
4. Diapers.
5. This cute cloud-shaped pillow that I am absolutely in love with, which is actually too big for the baby, but I bought it anyway because it is just too cute to ignore. I might use it as a nursing pillow.
6. Hooded towel.
7. Changing mat.
8. Cot bumper.
9. Blanket, which matches the colour of the hooded towel.
10. Baby napkins.
11. Baby top-to-toe wash (with a free pack of baby wipes!)
12. Baby nail clippers.
13. Mittens and booties.
14. Bottle and nipple cleaning brush.*
15. Baby bed sheets.
16. Washcloths.
17. Cotton balls.
18. Baby powder.
19. Small cotton buds.
20. Milk bottle.*
21. Cotton onesies.
22. Cotton pyjamas.
23. Cotton two-piece outfits.
24. Cotton trousers.
25. Nappy cream (which my husband bought when he was in Germany, plus a small bottle of baby powder).

Things left to buy are:-
1. Bottle sterilizer.*
2. Bottle warmer.*
3. Breast milk storage bags or bottles.*
4. Breast pump.*
5. Nipple cream (for me).
6. Cap or bonnet.
7. Maxi pads and panty liners (me).
8. Nursing bras (me).
9. Nursing pads (me).
10. Dustbin for nursery.
11. Wet wipes.
12. Baby hairbrush.
13. Baby thermometer.
14. Minyak yuyi (ointment which helps with colic).
15. Newborn car seat.
16. Sling or carrier.
17. Baby monitor.

*Things bought, or will buy, in case I get a job.

On the baby bottle - I only bought one because so many people have advised me that different babies have different preferences, so if the baby does not like a certain type of nipple, I can just get a different type. So it is better to just get one type first.

On me getting a job - my contract was extended until April this year, and my maternity leave is until May, which means that I will not have a job after that (it is highly unlikely that I will be offered a permanent position where I currently work, as my boss has advised that there will be major lay-offs this year). AND after a whole year of applying to jobs online, I still haven't been hired anywhere. I thought it would be fine, until last night, after the whole day of cleaning up the nursery, the landlord called and told us we will have to move out in May or June. I cried straight away out of worry because a) We thought we would at least last a year in this house, or until I get a job, then we can purchase our own place; b) How am I supposed to help with moving out with a two month old baby and surely no sleep whatsoever; and c) If we were to rent a different house, then how long would that last, until we are asked to move out again?

What's sad is that we haven't even been able to settle down yet. We had just received a sofa set as a gift, and bought carpets and kitchen appliances, and had just turned this house into our home. We've barely lived here two months (we moved in about five months ago and lived here for a month, then dear husband went to Germany for three months and I stayed in KL for the whole three months, so the house was empty during that period, and then dear husband came back and we lived here for another month). I was going to finish cleaning up the nursery and paint the walls yellow with white clouds, and assemble the cot, but now I've stopped everything because of the phone call.

I basically cried my eyes out last night because I felt so, so sad and worried about our future. We don't feel like renting another place but we can't really afford to buy a house what with me not having a job in the next few months. Last night I contemplated cancelling my prenatal yoga class to save money, but today I felt so depressed, more depressed than I have ever been, that I feel I need yoga as an outlet. Also, it's supposed to help with giving birth.

Then this morning the landlord called and said we might not have to move out yet, just let him discuss with his family (one of his children was going to live here, apparently) and he will let us know soon. So there's a probable silver lining coming up. Or not.

I know we will be fine. I know we have never starved or not have a roof over our heads. We have always been fine. As long as we are together, we are fine. But it is still something to worry about.

Anyways, here are photos of our haul...






Isn't the pillow the cutest thing ever?

Sofiya

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top